Monday, February 16, 2015

Bid'aa Concept in Islam - What is Bid'aa? Hadees on Bid'aa

Bid'aa (Innovation in Islam) 


Bid�ah refers to any innovations in religious matters. Linguistically the term means "innovation, novelty, heretical doctrine, heresy". In contrast to the English term "innovation", the word bid'ah in Arabic generally carries a negative connotation, but it can also have positive implications. It has also been used in classical Arabic literature (adab) as a form of praise for outstanding compositions of prose and poetry.

Any innovations in worldly matters � such as science, medicine and technology � are generally acceptable and encouraged; but bid'ah within the religious practice is generally considered a sin.

Hadees About Bid'aa


Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim write that there was some companions talking and the Prophet was listening. One of them said: 'I will make prayers (Salaah) all night long.' The second said: 'I will fast (sawm) all the time.' The third said: 'I will never marry.' When our Prophet [May Allah bless Him and grant Him peace heard them say this he said: 'I am the most God conscious of Allah (Ta`ala) than any of you. I pray (Salaah,) I fast (sawm) as well, and I do marry woman too. And who so turns his face from my Sunnah, cannot be of my Ummah'.

[Mishkat Muslim, Bukhari chapter Ihtisam]


RasoolAllah [May Allah bless Him and grant Him peace] stated: "On the Day of Judgement, some people will come to me when I will be standing by Haudh-e-Kauser (Well). They will be grabbed and taken towards the Hellfire. I shall say: "These are my people" but in reply I will be told: "These are the people who introduced innovations after you, so they are unbelievers."

[Bukhari & Muslim, Kitaab-ul-Haudh]

A person once sent salaam to Abdullah Ibn Umar radhiAllahu anhu who replied: I do not accept his salaam, as this person has innovated by becoming Qadriyyah (A sect which does not believe in destiny) [Mistake, Kitaab-ul-Iman wa-al-Qadr, transmitted by Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah]

The above narration emphasises the fact that Bid'ah is to hold such an Aqeedah which is in direct opposition to the Qur'an and Sunnah.

RasoolAllah [May Allah bless Him and grant Him peace] stated: "Every innovation leads astray and every creator of the astray goes in the Fire."

[Muslim chapter Al-jumah]

An example of this Bid'ah is given by Hafidhh Ibn Al-Qayyim who writes: 'The one who denies the punishment of the grave is an innovater'.

[Kitaab-ur-Rooh chap10]

No comments:

Post a Comment